Your thyroid gland regulates your metabolism so if there are any disruptions to normal functioning of your thyroid, many processes in the body are disrupted.
Thyroid disruption affects both physical and mental processes so both your mind & mood as well as your body are affected.
5 triggers that can undermine your thyroid functioning
Stress produces cortisol’s which compromises thyroid hormone production.
2. Genetic predisposition
You can be genetically predisposed to thyroid conditions so it is always a good idea to look to family history.
The onset of menopause can cause your thyroid to become underactive which may partially explain annoying weight gain.
Low iodine and tyrosine in Australian soils can reduce thyroid function. For example we know these nutrients are low in Victorian soils and especially low in the Gippsland area.
5. Autoimmune diseases
The onset of certain autoimmune conditions can have a direct impact on the thyroid gland.
*Graves disease (overactive thyroid - hyperthyroidism) affects 1% of the population. In hyperthyroidism the thyroid is producing too much thyroid hormone and thus everything is speeded up. Symptoms include: nervous, anxious, irritable, restless, very hungry, sweatiness, heart palpitations, insomnia, diarrhoea, tachycardia.
*Hashimotos disease (underactive thyroid – hypothyroidism). This is when everything slows down and symptoms include: fatigue/apathy, low energy, feeling cold, slow pulse, slow reflex, dry skin, hair loss, weight gain, raised cholesterol, constipation)
We tend to see a lot more underactive thyroid or low thyroid dysfunction in-store and in our clinic, with symptoms of lowered mood, sluggishness, lethargy and the inability to shift weight.
It’s very important with an underactive thyroid that you maintain a regular exercise regime to stimulate thyroid function which further stimulates your metabolism which will help keep weight stable or help with weight loss.
Herbs and nutrients we use for low thyroid function include:
● Iodine is an essential component of our thyroid hormones (i.e. triiodothyronine or T3 & thyroxine or T4)
Iodine is often added to table salt and fortified in breads.
● Selenium is essential for the conversion of T4 into the active form, T3.
Without selenium this conversion cannot take place. We know Australian soils are low in selenium
● Tyrosine is essential for the synthesis of thyroid hormones and the appropriate functioning of the adrenal, thyroid and pituitary glands. Your thyroid gland adds iodine to the tyrosine molecule to produce thyroid hormones.
Tyrosine is an amino acid (a protein) and also needed to make stress hormones. You can see the link between your stress hormones and your metabolism. Stress uses up your tyrosine and therefore you risk deficiency for the production of thyroid hormones.
● Zinc is required for a healthy thyroid function and is needed to convert T4 into T3.
Low zinc levels are common in ageing. If you are concerned with your zinc levels ask in-store for a free zinc test.
● Vitamin C required for thyroid synthesis. Vitamin C is also important for the synthesis of adrenal hormones and is depleted from the adrenal glands during times of stress.
● B-group vitamins are also required for thyroid hormone synthesis, in particular, B2, B3 & B6
There is a close relationship between our stress hormones and our thyroid hormones. High levels of prolonged stress produce ongoing circulating stress hormones which will negatively impact our thyroid hormones.
● Withania is an adaptogen that supports the adrenal glands and is beneficial during times of stress. Adrenal fatigue is linked to increased cortisol levels which consequently reduces the output of your thyroid hormone.
Withania may assist the production of thyroid hormone levels by enhancing the active form of thyroxine (T4) concentrations.
Get the Best Advice from Qualified Practitioners
If you have ongoing health issues with thyroid dysregulation and thus struggling with fatigue and weight gain then it is the time to book a Professional Consultation with the Mammoth Health Naturopaths. By working on your individual health needs, our Practitioner team experience great success in addressing underlying causes and achieving optimal health and vitality for our patients.
Consultations are available daily at our In-store Clinics or online via Telehealth for your convenience Book your Consultation Now
“Because it’s not a Rehearsal”
© 2020 Live Better Naturally Pty Ltd