The thing to remember though is that the flu is a virus that has been around for thousands of years and every year, at about this time, we are at a higher risk of infection from viruses because of increased exposure to them. We have no control over this exposure but we do have control over our immune system and we can support and optimise it so that it can “fight off” any nasties floating around.
We use supplements to help our body to not only cope with the side effects of modern day living but to help us live optimally.
And when our immune systems are at risk and need support it’s a great idea to supplement with immune tonics.
Our Favourite Immune Tonics
- Astragalus membranaceus is the premier traditional Chinese herb used to strengthen the immune system. It also has the added benefit of being a potent energy tonic and powerful antioxidant. It enhances the immune system and at the same time boosts the body’s energy reserves. This plant extract helps increase the number of white blood cells and enhance the activity of the body’s natural killer cells to help promote a healthy immune system
- Shiitake Mushroom is a Japanese mushroom used in natural medicine to enhance the immune system and increase stamina and endurance. Lentinan, a polysaccharide in Shiitake is a widely recognised and respected compound to help strengthen the immune system.
- Olea europea or more commonly known as Olive Leaf is hugely popular around the world, being used as a general health tonic, antioxidant and to help maintain a healthy immune system. Antioxidants help protect the body by reducing the risk of cell damage from potentially harmful free radicals. These highly reactive chemicals may be generated by lifestyle factors such as excess dietary fats, pollutants, cigarette smoke and alcohol ingestion.
- Probiotic: a healthy gut is a major key to optimal health and wellbeing. There are proven strains of gut flora that boost resistance to infection. And considering our gut is responsible for 75% of our immunity it makes sense to have correctly balanced flora.
- Vitamin C & Zinc are the two most effective nutritional building blocks to fortify immunity. These essential immune nutrients are involved in virtually every step of the immune response to not only support healthy immunity but to reduce severity of infections and promote healing and recovery.
- Vitamin D is a potent regulator of immune responses against infectious diseases. Low Vitamin D levels are associated with increased risk of viruses. It may pay to get your Vitamin D levels tested today.
If you want to protect yourself from “illness-sabotage” this winter it may be time to ensure your immune system is supported, nourished, “primed” and ready for any lurking of winter viruses.
“Because it’s Not a Rehearsal”
©2013 Live Better Naturally Pty Ltd