We know that diversity is one key parameter of a healthy microbiome. Simply having a large variety of bacterial species is beneficial to overall health. And studies done by Professor Rob Knight show that the number of different types of plant food you eat will increase your microbiome diversity.
In order to grow beneficial and diverse bacteria the right types of foods need to be consumed. These foods are often called ‘prebiotics’.
Prebiotics have long been recognised as a valuable source of non-digestible compounds that can help encourage the growth of specific beneficial microorganisms in the gut. Prebiotics include Fibre from fruit & veggies, whole grains and linseeds; Inulin and Fructoligosaccharides found in onions, garlic, asparagus, bananas, rye etc; Polyphenols found in blueberries, strawberries, peach, plum, tea, cocoa, chocolate; and Resistant Starch.
In as little as twenty-four hours, the food you eat can be changing your resident gut microbiota.
Resistant starch has been shown to increase our core strains of microbiota. These are the core butyrate-producing bacteria which play a very important metabolic role in our health by providing a measure of healthy microbiome function.
Resistant starch is found in potato (which has been cooked and cooled), bananas (esp. green bananas), cashew nuts, uncooked rolled oats, white beans and cooked lentils
To protect and enhance the diversity and functionality or our microbiota, it is recommended that the typical Western (high sugar, high saturated fat, low fibre) diet be avoided and instead we nourish our microbes with fibre, polyphenols, and prebiotic foods i.e. a diverse range of plant-based food.
Green Banana Resistant Starch
Natural Evolution is a Tropical North Queensland company who uses our excess Australian Lady Finger Bananas to make into green banana flour and resistant starch which is a brilliant prebiotic that feeds our core microbiotia. The starch is 100% natural, and the green lady finger bananas are biodynamically grown.
How can Green Banana Resistant starch help my gut?
According to Natural Evolution, their green banana resistant starch and flour is:
- The world’s highest quality, most potent resistant starch to heal your gut and restore your body’s healthy balance, with just one fibre-packed scoop a day
- The ultimate multi-fibre nutritional supplement—a unique combination of soluble, insoluble and fermentable fibre to promote gut health and assist in the prevention of colorectal diseases
- High in prebiotic fibre, to nourish beneficial gut bacteria and support your immune system by promoting a healthy microbiome
- Rich in inulin to regulate digestion and improve your metabolism, helping you feel fuller for longer, and maintain a healthy weight
- An excellent source of 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) / serotonin to balance your mood, prevent headaches and migraine and improve sleep
- High in minerals—including potassium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous and manganese
- Helps regulate blood sugar to support the prevention and treatment of diabetes
- Helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Increases the antioxidant capacity of food
- Increases mineral absorption—especially calcium—and aids in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis
Choc Peanut Resistant Starch Bites
Why not give these Bites a go – they are perfect when that mid-afternoon hunger strikes
1/3 cup Natural Evolution Green Banana Resistant Starch
1/3 Cup protein powder (rice, pea, whey etc.)
12 medjool dates (seeds removed & soaked in water for 2 hours)
½ cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup cacao powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
*optional desiccated coconut or crushed peanuts for rolling
*optional 2 tablespoons of sweetner (agave, honey, coconut syrup) or equivalent stevia, xylitol
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined
- Roll into ball or bar shapes, and refrigerate
Get the best advice from Qualified Practitioners
If you need some Professional help optimising health, energy and vitality this Winter season, now is the time to book a professional consultation with the Mammoth Health Naturopaths. By working on your individual health needs, symptoms and health history as well as your health aim and goals, our Naturopathic team experience great success in addressing underlying causes and achieving optimal health and vitality for our patients.
Consultations are available daily at our In-store Clinics. Book your Consultation Now
Because it’s Not a Rehearsal