Constipation describes a condition of the digestive system in which there are hard, dry stools that are difficult and/or painful to eliminate. Constipation is not a disease but merely a symptom of another causative factor, for example dehydration or lack of exercise.
Bowel Health Is Essential For Good Health And Vitality
The problem with having an underactive bowel is that toxins that are supposed to be eliminated are absorbed through the bowel wall and back into the bloodstream. So if you do suffer from constipation it is vital you address it now before these accumulated toxins cause other health problems.
There Are Many Causes That Can Contribute To Constipation Including:
• Lack of adequate fibre
• Imbalance of bowel flora
• Inadequate physical exercise
• Some medications
• Change of routine and diet (eg travelling overseas)
• Some nutrients (eg iron supplements)
Stimulating Vs Bulking Laxatives
Many people rely on stimulating laxatives to keep them regular.
Stimulating laxatives are great for short-term use only. They act to stimulate or irritate the bowel to evacuate. They treat symptoms only (not the underlying cause) and if used regularly the bowel can become weakened and lazy as it becomes reliant on them.
A long term strategy is to use bulking fibres (both soluble and insoluble) such as linseed meal and psyllium. These fibres bulk up the stool, lubricating it and making it softer and easier to expel. They also act as an intestinal broom, cleansing the colon allowing thorough elimination of waste and toxins.
- Ensure you are including fibre in your diet every day(lots of vegetables and salad, fruit, grains, linseed meal, psyllium)
- Ensure you are exercising daily
- Rebalance bowel flora by taking a daily probiotic supplement
- If stress is a factor include a powdered magnesium to relax the bowel
- Use stimulating laxatives (eg Cascara) as a short term strategy to get things moving
- Drink 2-3 litres of water daily
- Cleanse and rest the digestive tract and reduce your toxic burden
“Because It’s Not A Rehearsal”
©2015 Live Better Naturally Pty Ltd