Winter is almost upon us and already we have noticed a high influx of clients and patients with colds, flu, gastro and viruses! So I chatted to Kate Loftus, Mammoth’s consulting Naturopath, and I’d like to share with you her amazing insights, expertise and passion for the healing powers of natural medicine and healthy lifestyle practices.
This time of year, Kate finds it very useful in clinic to enable patients to set up a personalised winter protocol. And if you have been inclined to get sick through the winter season, this can be an excellent strategy for you. Think back to previous Winters… did you suffer from colds that lingered and were hard to shake or more serious flu’s and viruses that took many weeks to resolve and held you back from work and play? If you said “yes” to these, then Kate strongly advises that some immune-protection would be extremely beneficial now.
“One of my biggest priorities in the Autumn months as well as throughout the Winter season is to prepare individuals for the barrage of viruses and bacteria that we are all exposed to in our everyday lives. In clinic we can design individual prescriptions based on your current immune status, history of illness and levels of exposure.
Kate’s key focus of immunotherapy includes:
- Stimulating immune response to kill unwanted antigens
- Enhancing gut bacteria and the micro biome (Responsible for 75% of immune receptors)
- Working with anti-microbial, antiseptic and anti-bacterial herbs and nutrition
- Strengthening Respiratory systems
- Improving Lymphatic system function to enable a stronger line of defence
All of the above points can be achieved with easy and professional guidance.
Kate also points out that many of us can get very tired through the Winter months. This tiredness can cause us to experience increased stress or conversely stress can cause increased tiredness. Either way, stress and tiredness initiate a progressive pattern of immunosuppression. Added to this, many of us can be inclined to resort to poor food choices (i.e. increased sugar and refined/processed foods in the colder months) which can feed infection. The colder weather and shorter days can also see some of us surrendering to less exercise. These lifestyle behaviours impact on how we feel and Kate sees a pattern of patients feeling dramatically less motivated and inspired throughout the Winter season. Kate’s biggest concern with this pattern is… “what a struggle winter becomes! And then if we haven’t the vitality and the immunity to resolve these Winter viruses then they re-emerge as Spring viruses and that puts us in a position of true vulnerability.”
Needless to say, “Jumping on it now, is extremely important.”
Creating a Stronger Immune Response through good Lifestyle rituals
Kate believes we can aid these ‘Immune-stimulating’ principles through quality medicines and great nutrition, but we can also create a stronger immune response by addressing some lifestyle factors too!
For example, the following strategies for cellular strength are very helpful:
- Use your “Food as Medicine” (Love your food)
- Heal your emotions Stress is a major immunosuppressant and it has proven to be a contributor to chronic infection, inflammation and toxicity.
- Use quality Herbs and Nutrition supplementation for acute and preventative care.
- Wholistic Dentistry
Teeth are connected by organ meridians and toxicity in your oropharynx will suppress immunity and can create bacteria as a pathogen in your mouth.
- Don’t forget to gently Detoxify Helpful detoxification stimulants and support agents include: Glutathione, vitamin B, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C and Turmeric.
- Balance your Energy. Including Hormone balancing, Remedial Massage & Myotherapy, Chiropractic care, Osteopathy, Acupuncture, Meditation, Yoga and Exercise that feels great.
“We are lucky enough to have amazing medicines and foods available to us- to help us thrive, fight infection and help us to reach our everyday potential.
Don’t struggle through the winter season…Enjoy it and embrace it. This will be easy to do when armed with the right information and individual prescription for your ‘Winter Protocol’.”
If you have experienced Winter Illness in the past that really set you back and compromised your lifestyle, well Now is the time to make an appointment to see Kate and work with her to develop a personalised and professional Winter protocol for you… and make this year a Winter you can embrace and live life to the full.
To make an appointment to see Kate call Mammoth Health on 5243 9084 or book on line Here
Because it’s Not a Rehearsal
©2017 Live Better Naturally Pty Ltd