Event: “A Gut Feeling” : How the state of your gut affects how you feel
Date: Wednesday March 21st 2018
Where: In-Store at Mammoth Health
Cost: This is a Free Event
Bookings: Essential: Register by calling 5243 9084 or email: email@example.com
This year our Consulting Naturopaths, Kate Loftus and Brooke Eberle will be translating the latest cutting edge science on the Microbiome into a four part Free Seminar Series especially for you.
Each seminar will focus on one key aspect of health where Kate and Brooke will outline how the state of your microbiome directly impacts this area of your health. They will show you the Science of why it is happening and give you practical advice and tips on how to restore your microbiome and thus optimise your health.
The first of the series focuses on how the state of your gut affects how you feel.
An exciting and rapidly emerging field of neuroscientific research suggests that our gut microbiota has an influence on our mood.
Whilst this research is not new, studies dating back to the early nineteenth and twentieth centuries show a link between the gut and emotional health, the ability of the gut microbiota and the brain to communicate in balancing human health, is at the forefront of modern research.
This research shows that there is a strong bio-directional relationship between the gut and the brain and this communication occurs via the vagus nerve. It’s called the ‘Gut-Brain Axis’ where 90% of the communication comes from the gut to the brain, with the remaining 10% from the brain down to the gut.
‘With anxiety and depressive disorders a leading health issue, millions of dollars is been spent identifying causes, management and prevention. A rapidly emerging field of research suggests that the microbiome-gut-brain axis is of substantial relevance to mood and behaviour. Similarly, unhealthy diet has recently emerged as a significant link as well as a risk factor for anxiety and depression. Studies are now providing evidence for the gut microbiota as a key factor mediating the link between diet and depressive illness’ (Dash S1, Clarke G, Berk M , Jacka FN ).
For example serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps regulate sleep and appetite, balance mood and inhibit pain. People with low serotonin experience those symptoms of worry, ruminating thoughts – the ‘re-processing’ kind of anxiety. About 95% of serotonin is produced in the gut and is highly influenced by the billions of “good” bacteria that reside there (Selbub 2015).